"THE JOY OF THE GOSPEL fills the hearts and lives of all who encounter Jesus. Those who accept his offer of salvation are set free from sin, sorrow, inner emptiness and loneliness.
With Christ joy is constantly born anew. In this Exhortation I wish to encourage the Christian faithful to embark upon a new chapter of evangelization marked by this jo
y, while pointing out new paths for the Church’s journey in years to come.”
– Pope Francis
So opens Evangelii Gaudium - The Joy of the Gospel, the first Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis.
If you are interested in reading the document in it's entirety, click
For help understanding "The Joy of the Gospel", Joe Paprocki, a pastor and catechist from Minnesota shares his thoughts
. He breaks down the letter into 7 areas.
1. We Must Be a Church on a Mission
2. We can Overcome challenges to Serve this Mission
3. Everyone Needs to Proclaim the Good News
4. We Need Better Homilies and More Evangelizing Catechesis
5. Love of God Necessitates Love of Neighbor. (The Gospel is not simply a "me and God" experience nor is it a matter of doing a series of good deeds.)
6. We Need to Work for a Peace Based on the Common Good of All
7. The Holy Spirit Must Fuel Our Evangelization Efforts