Here are some of the opportunities:
For more information on any of these ministries, please contact Denise Waytes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-337-9778.
- Role: proclaim the first and second scripture readings during Mass as well as the prayers of the faithful and the announcements.
- Time Commitment: after initial training, lectors spend time prayerfully preparing the readings and sign up in advance to read at specific Masses.
- Eucharistic Minister
- Role: distribute communion at Mass
- Time Commitment: after initial training, Eucharistic ministers sign in when they arrive at Mass; there are no pre-assigned time commitments.
- Sacristan and Altar Server
- Role: prepare the space and liturgical vessels before Mass, assist the presider during Mass, and assist in cleaning the liturgical vessels after Mass
- Time Commitment: after initial training, sacristans and altar servers sign up in advance to serve at specific Masses, arriving 45 minutes before Mass and staying 30 minutes after Mass.
- Hospitality Ministers
- Role: meet and greet parishioners before Mass. Pass out bulletins following mass, assist in recruiting volunteers to bring up the gifts at offertory.
- Time Commitment: after initial training, Hospitality ministers sign up in advance to serve at specific Masses, arriving 20 minutes before Mass and staying 20 minutes after Mass.
- Art and Environment
- Role: prepare and decorate the worship space to reflect the different liturgical seasons.
- Time Commitment: varies, usually a few hours at various times throughout the liturgical year.
Training to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (EMHC) and/or a lector has two components. The first is a theological session which lasts about one hour. Persons interested in either or both liturgical ministries only need to come to one theological session.
The other component is a practical session. This takes place on a separate day and is also abut an hour in length.
Those who are interested in taking communion to the sick or in becoming a Mass coordinator are required to take the training for an EMHC.